OFFER DEADLINE :
30/09/2022 23:59:00 – Europe/Brussels
UNIVERSITY OF UDINE
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMME:
HORIZON-MSCA-2021-DN-01-01 DEPARTMENT :
Dept. of Mathematics, Computer Science and Physics
Prof. Vincenzo Della (Google Scholar profile) established at the at the Department of Mathematics, Computer Science and Physics at the Udine university (Udine, Italy), are interested in receiving Expressions of Interest of potential candidates for the Marie Sklodowska – Curie Doctorate Network (MSCA-DN-2021) call.
The title of the proposed project: High throughput digital analysis of WSIs images for improved BC subtypes and relapse prediction
The overarching goal of our project is to study image analysis methods, involving also but not exclusively deep learning techniques, to enable decision support for the pathologist when defining breast cancer subtypes and prognosis.
For BosomShield, we are looking for a doctorate candidate will have the following responsibilities:
- She/he will collaborate with diverse teams of scientists and engineers to build an advanced system for BosomShield.
- She/he will design and develop cutting edge methods based on brittle computer vision, machine learning and deep learning algorithms.
- She/he will help advance R&D by finding problems, implementing elegant solutions, and building tools that enable the team to move forward and to measure progress in the specific field of digital pathology.
We are looking for talented and innovative self-motivated young scientists, strongly committed to high quality frontier and multi-disciplinary research and able to add new insights to the existing University of Udine core expertise.
The Department of Mathematics, Computer Science and Physics as Hosting Institution located at the University of Udine (Udine, Italy), in collaboration with the local Institute of Pathology, has all the technical and scientific facilities for carry out this project.
The Medical Informatics, Telemedicine and eHealth Lab of the Dept. of Mathematics, Computer Science and Physics has expertise in both digital pathology and biomedical classifications. Regarding digital pathology, in the past it has been involved in the COST EUROTELEPATH action (2007-2011), in the MSCA IAPP AIDPATH project (2013-2017) and other smaller national or regional projects. Vincenzo Della Mea, head of the lab, is among the founding members of the European Society for Digital and Integrative Pathology (ESDIP) and currently member of its Executive Board; it has been vice-president of the Italian Society for Biomedical Informatics (SIBIM), and currently member of its Executive Board.
Images and clinical expertise will be available thanks to the collaboration with the University Hospital of Udine (ASUFC).
At the attempted deadline for the submission of the proposals (30/09/2022):
- Early Stage Researcher:
- Knowledge of deep learning concepts and experience with deep learning environments (eg.: TensorFlow, PyTorch, etc).
- Excellent practical software engineering ability, particularly Python and C/C++.
- Knowledge of medical image analysis and working with image data.
- Masters degree is highly recommended.
- Collaborative spirit.
- Nationality: Any.
- Mobility: The researcher must not have resided or carried out his/her main activity (work, studies, etc.) in the country of the host organization for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately prior to the deadline for submission of proposals (a relaxed rule for Career restarting and Reintegration).
- Must be fluent in English (both written and spoken).
Researchers willing to apply should check that they fulfil the eligibility criteria and then send an expression of interest, consisting of:
HOW TO APPLY
- Scanned copy of identity card, resident's card or passport currently in force.
- Curriculum Vitae (Any research career gaps and/or unconventional paths should be clearly explained so that this can be fairly assessed by the evaluators; if you are a forcibly displaced researcher, please explain your situation in the CV; if you have been residing in Country in the last 3 years please provide the exact duration and motives of your stay and be prepared to provide the documentation proving it during the redress phase if required by the Project Manager). We strongly recommend you to use the Europass CV template.
- Scanned copy of the certificate of the official academic qualification or proof of payment of the fees for the issuance of the certificate that allows the holder to access the doctoral studies. Students who hold Master degrees should present the scanned copies of their master's degrees. Students who are registered in an official university master's course that allows them to access the doctoral programme during the 2021/2022 academic year must present a scanned copy of their master's course registration form.
- Scanned copy of academic transcript of the qualification equivalent to a bachelor's degree.
- Scanned copy of academic transcript of the master's degree. Candidates who have not completed their Master's degrees must send their provisional academic transcript*.
- Two signed and scanned reference letters. We will not contact the referees on your behalf.
- A motivation letter, explaining his expertise and how the candidate is suited for the position she/he applies for.
- Expressions of interest must be submitted to your account through https://bosomshield.eu/.
- Researchers willing must apply to maximum two positions of the aforementioned 10 positions.
- DCs will be pre-selected on the basis of internal evaluation.
- Candidates will be informed of the results of the pre-selection two weeks after the deadline.
- Interview between the highest ranked candidates of the pre-selection will be organed by the supervisors to select the final candidate.