OFFER DEADLINE :
30/09/2022 23:59:00 – Europe/Brussels
University of Maribor
EU RESEARCH FRAMEWORK PROGRAMME:
Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
Dr. Izidor Mlakar, principal researcher at the university Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, University of Maribor (Maribor, Slovenia) and Maja Ravnik, md, Head of Oncology Department at University Clinical Center Maribor (Maribor, Slovenia), are interested in receiving Expressions of Interest of potential candidates for the Marie Sklodowska – Curie Doctorate Network (MSCA-DN-2021) call.
The title of the proposed project: Explainable Prediction model of breast-cancer relapse combining histopathological, radiological and clinical biomarkers.
The overarching goal of our project is to build an (X)AI-based breast-cancer relapse prediction model by combining three types of data; histopathological, radiological biomarkers and clinical records (including medical history). We are looking for a doctorate candidate will have the following responsibilities:
- enroll in the doctoral school and successfully complete study obligations under the guidance of supervisor and co-supervisor.
- carry-out scientific and research projects and collaborate with a diverse team of scientists and engineers to build an advanced algorithm and a system for BosomShield.
- design and develop cutting-edge methods based on computer vision, NLP, (X)AI/ML algorithms.
- implement elegant solutions, and building tools that enable the team to move forward and to measure progress.
- prepare research reports, carry-out studies, disseminate the results and outcomes, and and transfer of scientific research and professional results into practice.
We are looking for talented and innovative self-motivated young scientists, strongly committed to high quality frontier and multi-disciplinary research and able to add new insights to the existing core expertise of the University of Maribor, Faculty of Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, Laboratory for Digital Signal Processing as Hosting Institution located in Maribor, Slovenia. The Hosting institution has all the technical and scientific facilities for carry out this project. The project is directly supported by clinical expertise, with co-supervision from the Oncology Department at University Clinical Center Maribor (Maribor, Slovenia).
University of Maribor (Univerza v Mariboru) is one of 5 universities included in U-Multirank for Slovenia. University of Maribor is a large public university located in Maribor with 13758 students enrolled (2019 data or latest available). It was founded in 1975. With regard to the scope of its subjects and degree programs offered, the University of Maribor is a comprehensive institution. It offers programmes in foreign languages. It is characterized by a high percentage of international students. The University of Maribor graduation rate is 53,38 for bachelors (C score) and 69,88 for masters (C score). As made clear by its sunburst chart – a snapshot illustration of the University’s performance profile across the five U-Multirank dimensions – the University of Maribor is strongest in Research. Its overall profile shows top performance across various indicators, with 6 ‘A’ (very good) scores overall. At the Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science at the University of Maribor (UM FERI) we create knowledge based on the results of internationally recognized scientific research work, and we pass it on to students and society. Our vision to consolidate the position of an internationally-recognized university educational and research institution within the fields of Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Informatics, Media Communications, Telecommunications and Mechatronics, throughout Central Europe, which is high quality and attractive to students, and addresses the challenges of society and the economy in Slovenia and abroad. The values we pursue the most are: Academic responsibility, The quality of teaching, scientific research, and development work, High ethical standards, Social responsibility and sustainable development.
Slovenia is ranked as one of the most peaceful, safe, politically stable and culturally diverse countries. We have a high standard of living, clean air, a healthy lifestyle and good acommodation. Studying in Slovenia offers you a unique opportunity to discover the country and its neighbours, the culture, cuisine, Slovenian festivals, nature, language, and gain new knowledge.
On web page https://moja.um.si/en/future-students/Strani/stay.aspx you can find information about Accommodation, Student Meals and Health Services.
At the deadline for the submission of the proposals:
- Early Stage Researcher:
- Masters Degree from Electrical Enegeniring, Telecomunicaitons, Informatics or Computer Sciences, nostrificated by the University On the web page https://moja.um.si/en/future-students/Strani/recognition-of-education.aspx you can inform yourself about the procedure for recognition of foreign education for the purpose of further education at the University of Maribor. Nostrification must be carried out only if the candidate is selected.
- Knowledge and experience in deep learning concepts and experience with deep learning environments (eg.: TensorFlow, PyTorch, etc).
- Excellent practical software engineering ability, particularly Python and C# and C/C++.
- Experience in Computer Vision (and medical imaging).
- Collaborative spirit.
- Nationality: Any.
- Mobility: The researcher must not have resided or carried out his/her main activity (work, studies, etc.) in the country of the host organization for more than 12 months in the 3 years immediately prior to the deadline for submission of proposals (a relaxed rule for Career restarting and Reintegration).
- Must be fluent in English (both written and spoken).
Researchers willing to apply should check that they fulfil the eligibility criteria and then send an expression of interest, consisting of:
HOW TO APPLY
- Scanned copy of identity card, resident's card or passport currently in force.
- Curriculum Vitae (Any research career gaps and/or unconventional paths should be clearly explained so that this can be fairly assessed by the evaluators; if you are a forcibly displaced researcher, please explain your situation in the CV; if you have been residing in Country in the last 3 years please provide the exact duration and motives of your stay and be prepared to provide the documentation proving it during the redress phase if required by the Project Manager). We strongly recommend you to use the Europass CV template.
- Scanned copy of the certificate of the official academic qualification or proof of payment of the fees for the issuance of the certificate that allows the holder to access the doctoral studies. Students who hold Master degrees should present the scanned copies of their master's degrees. Students who are registered in an official university master's course that allows them to access the doctoral programme during the 2021/2022 academic year must present a scanned copy of their master's course registration form.
- Scanned copy of academic transcript of the qualification equivalent to a bachelor's degree.
- Scanned copy of academic transcript of the master's degree. Candidates who have not completed their Master's degrees must send their provisional academic transcript*.
- Two signed and scanned reference letters. We will not contact the referees on your behalf.
- A motivation letter, explaining his expertise and how the candidate is suited for the position she/he applies for.
- Expressions of interest must be submitted to your account through https://bosomshield.eu/.
- Researchers willing must apply to maximum two positions of the aforementioned 10 positions.
- DCs will be pre-selected on the basis of internal evaluation.
- Candidates will be informed of the results of the pre-selection two weeks after the deadline.
- Interview between the highest ranked candidates of the pre-selection will be organed by the supervisors to select the final candidate.